Intro

This blog gains its name from the book Steele's Answers published in 1912. It began as an effort to blog through that book, posting each of the Questions and Answers in the book in the order in which they appeared. I started this on Dec. 10, 2011. I completed blogging from that book on July 11, 2015. Along the way, I began to also post snippets from Dr. Steele's other writings — and from some other holiness writers of his times. Since then, I have begun adding material from his Bible commentaries. I also re-blog many of the old posts.

Monday, May 26, 2014

Confession and Restitution

QUESTION: I am not a subscriber to your paper, but I need advice. How much confession and restitution does God require of an awakened soul?

ANSWER: I will let Gypsy Smith answer. While in Boston recently he received several anonymous letters from one man earnestly requesting prayers. At last he requested him, if in the audience, to meet him in the inquiry room. Here the man whispered to the evangelist that he wished to become a Christian, but he had been stealing money of his employers. Gypsy Smith told him to get right with God first, then he would, be in a better way to get right with men. In a few days he reported that after getting right with God by the experience of forgiveness, he confessed to his astonished employers, stating his willingness to make restitution so far as was in his power, or to go to jail. When they asked what had happened to induce this confession, he replied, "I have been converted to Christ and he has forgiven me." They replied, "Then we, too, will forgive you." I am not sure that every confessing thief would come off in the same way, but I am sure that it is best to get right with God first. This will prepare the way to get right with man.

Steele's Answers pp. 153, 154.

No comments:

Post a Comment