Intro

This blog gains its name from the book Steele's Answers published in 1912. It began as an effort to blog through that book, posting each of the Questions and Answers in the book in the order in which they appeared. I started this on Dec. 10, 2011. I completed blogging from that book on July 11, 2015. Along the way, I began to also post snippets from Dr. Steele's other writings — and from some other holiness writers of his times. Since then, I have begun adding material from his Bible commentaries. I also re-blog many of the old posts.

Saturday, May 31, 2014

The Greeks Who Wanted to See Jesus (John 12:20-23)

QUESTION: Did the Greeks who desired to have an interview with Christ (John 12:20-23) secure an introduction to him?

ANSWER: The sacred scholars disagree in their answer. Christ's reply to the request was evidently made to Andrew and Philip with the intention of granting the request, but the voice from heaven interrupted and changed the scene. If these monotheistic Greeks were anxious to ask Jesus whether they were excluded from the benefits of his mission, they would find an encouraging answer in his declaration, "If I am lifted up from the earth, I will draw all men unto myself." If they did not secure a personal interview, they doubtless were in the multitude of listeners to Christ's address.

Steele's Answers pp. 157, 158.

No comments:

Post a Comment